The UAMS library provides resource guides on a variety of topics. The Basic Science Resource Guide has information from National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) scientific data repositories & datasets, as well as animal research alternatives resources, and writing and publishing information. Visit the link for more information.
We are pleased to announce that the UAMS Library now provides access to Thieme’s MedOne Neurosurgery platform. MedOne Neurosurgery provides comprehensive access to a portfolio of resources for training and clinical practice in neurosurgery and spine surgery.
The MedOne Neurosurgery platform is available here.
See the MedOne Neurosurgery libguide for information and how to access the MedOne Apps for mobile devices.
Key Features in MedOne Neurosurgery Include:
- Thieme’s Neurosurgery publishing program. 275 Neurosurgery and Spine surgery eBooks, including CORE TEXTS for residency programs.
- Access to Thieme’s 4 Neurosurgery journals.
- 418 surgical procedures that provide step-by-step instruction on core techniques.
- 225 cases with associated Q&A.
- Over 95,000 images, videos and audio in the Media Center – downloadable to PowerPoint.
- Interactive Q&A bank with over 1,500 questions for Board Exam preparation.
- Content Collections that cover over 200 diagnoses and bring all relevant information on the disease and subject together in an easy-to-navigate format.
- Curate chapters, cases, and articles into your own playlists to make prep-work convenient. Highlight content & make notes.
- Download the MedOne App for mobile devices, and download content for offline access.
We are happy to announce the grand reopening of the Library 3rd floor. The shelving was removed and the space redesigned to create 6 group rooms and expand the testing area.
We are unable to host an open house due to COVID-19 distancing requirements, but we invite you now to a
to see what renovation looks like. We hope you’ll come to the Library when you can to use and enjoy the space.
For more information call Libby Ingram 686-6732 or Heather Smith 686-8116.
The Library and Student Success Center are committed to protecting the health and wellbeing of UAMS students, faculty, and staff, while offering services on-site and remotely. The Library is located in the ED II building on the UAMS campus. Onsite services and virtual support are available. Below are policies related to the Library and the Student Success Center currently in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic.
CAPACITY LIMITS FOR THE LIBRARY
- The Library monitors entry access to manage capacity limits due to social distancing requirements. The entry process at the Library front door requires a few moments, so in order to speed the process, have your student ID badge ready to scan and display your daily UAMS screening sticker.
- Minimal Library spaces available are 20 computer seats and 59 study seats. The capacity numbers will increase as renovation projects are completed and more space opens.
SOCIAL DISTANCING IN EFFECT
- Minimize close contact with others. UAMS advises all community members to maintain good hygiene habits and to practice social distancing. Please maintain a 6ft distance between you and other individuals. Study spaces and computer workstations have been clearly marked in order to help you maintain safe distances.
- Use of the elevator and stairs. The elevator is available for use with the limit of one person at a time due to the small size. When possible, please use the stairs rather than sharing the elevator.
FACE COVERINGS REQUIRED IN THE LIBRARY AND STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER
- The use of face coverings is required at all times.
- Food and drink allowed ONLY in the 1st floor Lounge area at this time.
SELF-CLEAN THE SPACE BEFORE USE
- Sanitizing wipes, protective gloves, and hand sanitizer supplies are on each floor for you to use to clean your designated space before you sit down.
- Check in is required when entering the Library. In an effort to ensure safe study and testing space in the Library and to follow social distancing requirements, all students will be required to check in at the front door when entering the Library. Everyone must wear a face covering and use hand sanitizer upon entry. Please have your UAMS student ID badge ready to be scanned.
- Register for a Library account: If you haven’t already created a Library account, please register here. Having an established Library account will speed the check-in process when you come to the Library.
- Spaces in the Library for check-out and access: A limited number of spaces are available in the Library to align with social distancing requirements. You may choose a space for computer use, study space, or testing space.
- Using space: When you check out a space in the Library, you will receive a laminated card indicating your Library activity and space designation. Before studying or testing, you are responsible for self-sanitizing the area you are using. Cleaning supplies are located on each floor. When you leave the Library, return the laminated card to the Circulation Desk to check in your space. Please remain in the space checked out to you for studying and testing, adhere to social distancing guidelines, and wear a face covering at all times.
ALL LIBRARY SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE
Library assistance and support in locating authoritative information is available. Library Liaisons work with each department to assist students, faculty, staff and clinicians with their information needs. Please visit the library E&RS Department on the 1st floor of the Library to meet with our librarians or request an online consult or other support at: https://library.uams.edu/online-forms/. Additionally, a list of our Library Liaisons and their contact information is located at https://libguides.uams.edu/liaisons.
ALL STUDENT SUCCESS CENTER SERVICES AVAILABLE
Student Support Services are located on the 3rd floor of the Library. Faculty within the department provide support to all UAMS students. Please visit the Student Success Center to request service or locate our faculty contact information at https://studentsuccess.uams.edu/about-us/contact-us/. Specific services and contact information is also denoted below.
Testing is administered on the 3rd floor of the Library. All test takers will need to check in at the front door of the Library and request a Student Success Center Testing card. Please bring the card with you and check in with a Testing Coordinator. You will be instructed on the testing process and will be responsible for sanitizing your testing area before and after testing.
In order to follow social distancing guidelines, please only test in designated testing carrels.
Testing reservations are submitted by faculty. Students do not reserve testing spaces for themselves.
- LEARNING SERVICES/PEER TUTORING
Students are encouraged to meet with a Learning Specialist to discuss academic challenges and the possibility of peer tutoring. To request an appointment, please fill out the form on the Student Success Center website and a Learning Specialist will contact you.
Peer tutoring is also available. To request peer tutoring, please request a meeting with a Learning Specialist.
- STUDENT TECH SUPPORT
Tech support is available to help students connect to the campus learning environment, install applications, troubleshoot issues, etc. Remote services are available as long as the student has an Internet connection. Pascal Schmetz is available for onsite support, via phone at 501-526-6003 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, you may request assistance by please filling out the online form.
- WRITING SUPPORT
Assistance with writing is available for all students. Please submit your writing and a writing expert will be in contact with you.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO NOT COMPLY
The Library is historically a favorite place for students to study individually as well as to meet and study in groups. However, the COVID-19 pandemic requires us to reconsider the use of the space, to limit capacity, and provide distancing for the safety of everyone. It is critical in this space used by so many, that everyone adhere to these directives for your own wellbeing and for the good of those around us.
Failure to comply with the expectations above will result in a report to your college, program, or department.
For questions relating to the Library, please call 501-686-6732. For questions regarding the Student Success Center, please call 501-686-6208.
The Active Learning Center on the 1st floor in the Library will be closed to all access beginning today, May 26 through August 3.
Classroom Technologies is upgrading the audiovisual system in preparation for classes resuming in the Fall Semester. They are installing microphones, loudspeakers, and cameras for each team table and adding videoconferencing capabilities to allow interaction with the Northwest Campus. The anticipated completion date is August 3, 2020.
Because of the extent of the work in the room, the space is not available clsosed for study during the day and for after-hours access on evenings and weekends. We understand that this closure is inconvenient and appreciate your patience while the project is underway.
The National Library of Medicine has made the final change over to New PubMed. The Legacy version is no longer available. If you haven’t tried out New PubMed yet, we’ve created a special webpage with information about changes, links to tutorials, and a user’s guide.
Please remember, UAMS faculty, staff, and residents may request free expert searches done by librarians by filling out the request form.
If you would like an online class or consult on new PubMed for your department, lab, unit, or college, please request here.
The Education & Research Services team has put together a resource guide with information about Coronavirus Disease 19(2019-nCoV). You can find it above under the Resource Guides Menu at the top of the page and also under the Serving Arkansas section in the center of the page.