Research and Clinical Search Services
For all your literature search needs…
What is an Expert Search?
Searches are performed by expert searchers in the Reference Department. A librarian consults with the requester to clarify the subject and to refine terminology and parameters. Next, the best databases are identified for the topic. Search strategies are built and results are compiled and emailed to the requester.
What is an Expert Searcher?
A library professional with training and in-depth knowledge in numerous areas such as:
- Clinical and Biomedical Resources
- Databases and Vendor Systems
- Controlled Vocabularies / Thesauri
- Search Methodologies
- Publishing / Open Access
- Systematic reviews
What Do I receive?
Results include the search strategies used, citation data and abstracts (when available). Customized output may be quested. Results Do Not include the full text of the articles. The UAMS Library provides these specialized search services to all UAMS faculty and staff.
Who Can Use RCSS and is There a Cost?
This service is free to all UAMS faculty, staff, and residents under our subscription databases. Non-licensed commercial databases are available upon request and costs are charged back to the UAMS requester. Fee-based services are available to Central Arkansas health professionals. These counties include Cleburne, Faulkner, Garland, Hot Spring, Perry, Pulaski, Saline, Van Buren, and White. If you do not reside/work in central Arkansas, click here to find the Regional Cneter library that serves your area.
Individual consultations may be requested for assistance with database selections, search methodologies and output formats. Specialized support is provided for:
- Setting up Auto Alerts or current awareness searches
- Conducting animal alternative searches to meet USDA and UAMS IACUC requirements
- Search strategy consultations are available for PhD level graduate students
- One-on-one training in the use of specific databases, resources, and/or features
- Small group classes on site
Benefits to You
- Save valuable clinical and research hours
- Receive customized search strategies and focused results
- Request customized output options for search results (including de-dupping results among databases and/or importable data for RefWorks, Endote or RefMan).
Situations Where You Might Request an Expert Search
- Clinical / Patient Care Cases
- Evidence-based Information
- Research / Grants (Recommended for any human clinical trials)
- Presentations / Conferences
- Publication Preparation
- Adherence to Federal Regulations for Protocols