The Book Collection consists of 33,748 volumes representing 27,656 titles and is housed on the second floor of the Library. Books are arranged according to the National Library of Medicine classification schedule supplemented with Library of Congress classification numbers for non-medical subject areas. Faculty and student recommendations for books are encouraged as a vital means of supplying books relevant to the curriculum, research, and clinical needs of this campus.
The Library generally does not buy multiple copies of print books or duplicate copies in different formats (electronic, print). Electronic versions are the preferred format when available. Older editions are usually discarded when a new edition is received.
New Books Shelf
Each week the staff places the newly cataloged books on the New Book Shelf. These books will remain here a week during which time patrons may sign a request to be notified when the book is available to circulate.
The Core Collection is a small collection of heavily used basic materials, primarily recent textbooks, which cover all areas of health sciences. This collection is behind the Circulation Desk and may be checked out for 2 hour periods. Books are added to the Core Collection based on local needs and requests by faculty and students.
The Reference Collection is a non-circulating collection found on the first floor of the Library. Books in the collection are arranged by National Library of Medicine classification numbers. The Ready Reference Collection is inside the Reference offices. The Regular Reference Collection resides in the glassed-in Reference Alcove (1st floor East side).
Some older Reference titles are in off-site storage and will be retrieved up request.
In addition, the Reference Collection provides access to electronic searching of databases and full text resources in the biomedical and health related fields.
Women in Medicine and Science Resource Collection
The Women in Medicine and Science Resource Collection was established in 2001 by the UAMS College of Medicine Women’s Faculty Development Caucus to honor UAMS women. These books about women in medicine and science will be shelved in the regular book collection. A listing of this collection is available online.
History of Medicine Collection
The History of Medicine Collection, located on the second floor in the Historical Research Center, contains medical classics, many published prior to 1925. These materials are included in the online catalog and may circulate with the approval of the Head of the Historical Research Center.
The Archives Collection is located on the second floor of the Library as part of the Historical Research Center. The purpose of the institutional archives is to collect, preserve, index and make available for use the following types of records documenting the growth and development of the campus:
1. Administrative records, including reports, memoranda, and correspondence, of the departments and organizations of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
2. Personal papers, correspondence files, and notebooks of members of the faculty, staff, and alumni of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences.
3. A copy of each thesis or dissertation is deposited in the Archives. Since 1980, one copy is available in the Archives and another in the circulating books collection.
4. The Photograph Collection contains prints and negatives relating to the University and to medical sciences in Arkansas.
The Library’s online catalog includes records for many of these archival materials. Materials in the Archives are non-circulating and may be accessed with the assistance of Historical Research Center personnel.
The Schlumberger Collection, also in the Historical Research Center, contains books on a broad range of subjects. Pathology is the major emphasis in the collection, with anatomy and biographies of scientists two other areas of concentration. Most of these books were donated by Dr. Hans G. Schlumberger’s family. These materials are included in the online catalog and may circulate with the approval of the Head of the Historical Research Center.
The books remaining from this collection were incorporated into the regular book collection in 1999.
The Langston Book Collection at UAMS Library was established as a memorial to William (Bill) Cleaver Langston, Jr. in 1943. Bill was the son of William C. Langston, Professor and Head of the Department of Anatomy, who retired in 1957. Bill was a junior medical student at UAMS when he died of astrocytoma in 1943. The scope of the Langston Book Collection was defined as “spiritual in connotation, relating to the study and practice of medicine – including morality, compassion, and humaneness in the Judeo-Christian philosophy – with a view to broadening the scientist in service to his fellow man and his relationship to God.”
The Library has 4,580 paid and gift subscriptions and 78,279 bound journal volumes. The majority of journal subscriptions are now online only and may be accessed through the eJournals portal or through the catalog. The print Journal Collection is shelved on the third floor arranged alphabetically by title. Journals published before 1966 are stored in the UAMS Distribution Center and will be retrieved upon request. The Journal Collection may be used only within the Library.