Health Information for the Public
- MedlinePlus – The consumer health information (CHI) website from the National Library of Medicine. Contains dictionaries, encyclopedias, drug information etc. Also available in Spanish/Espanol.
- HealthFinder.gov – U.S. Government Consumer Health Web Site with links to online publications, clearinghouses, databases, support groups and not-for-profit organizations.
- MedlinePlus Guide to Healthy Web Surfing – What should you look for when evaluating the quality of health information on Web sites? Here are some suggestions based on our experience.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
- Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care (AFMC) – Nonprofit corporation dedicated to the clinical evaluation and improvement of health care in Arkansas. See their healthcare reports.
- ClinicalTrials.gov – Registry of federally and privately supported clinical trials conducted in the U.S. and around the world.
- PubMed – Links to current research citations, abstracts, and full-text articles.
- HealthCare.gov – Locate health insurance, learn about illness prevention, and compare healthcare providers.
- Medicaid – Pays for medical services for needy and low income persons. Also see enrollment information.
- Medicare – Pays for medical services for adults 65 and older and disabled persons. Also see enrollment information.
Children and K-12 School Students
- KidsHealth – Sections for parents, children, and teens. Provided by The Nemours Foundation’s Center for Children’s Health Media.
- K-12 Science and Health Education – U.S. Department of Health & Human Services working with teachers and scientific experts to provide free reliable resources to introduce, reinforce, and supplement education programs.
- ToxMystery – Toxie the Cat helps kids find the hazards hidden in each room and offers hints when needed. When all the risky spots in the house have been discovered, Toxie dances and celebrates and players can print a personalized certificate of completion.
- Household Products Database – Links over 6,000 consumer brands to health effects from Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) and allows scientists and consumers to research products based on chemical ingredients.
- Poison Control Center – Call 1-800-222-1222 for emergency poisoning, infectious disease, and public health emergency information.
- RadTown USA – Information about sources of radiation.
- Tox Town – An introduction to toxic chemicals and environmental health risks you might encounter in everyday life.