Locating Tests and Instruments
Searching for tests can be an overwhelming task if you are not sure where to begin. Here are some time-saving tips to help you get started.
Tests and instruments fall into two general categories:
- Non-commercial – Usually the easiest to locate and many can be searched in the journal literature, in books, or in an online web search. You will often find reviews of tests as well. If you find the full-text of a non-commercial test it is sometimes necessary to ask permission from the author(s) to administer them.
- Commercial – Usually available through a publisher for a fee. Be aware of copyright restrictions. Commercially distributed tests and instruments are typically not readily available through searching the journal literature or online resources. You can usually find critiques or reviews of published tests in reference sources, but access to the full instrument is limited unless otherwise indicated.
For more information about commercial and non-commercial tests, see the American Psychological Association’s
FAQ/Finding Information about Psychological Tests.
Many journal literature databases provide access to tests, instruments, and reviews. For additional searching tips, please email email us at LibraryReferenceDesk@uams.edu or call 501-686-6734.
The following databases contain tests and instruments and can be found on our eResources page:
- Mental Measurements Yearbook
- HAPI – Health And Psychosocial Instruments (Ovid)
- PsycINFO (EBSCO)
- CINAHL Plus with with Full Text (EBSCO)
- PubMed MEDLINE
- Educational Resource Information Center (ERIC)
Print Resources, 1st floor
- Tests in print. UAMS Ref: WM 145 T289
- Tests, a comprehensive reference for assessments in psychology, education, and business. UAMS Ref: WM 145 T287
- Test critiques. UAMS Ref: WM 145 T288
- Directory of unpublished experimental mental measures. UAMS Ref: WM 145 G569d
- Measuring health: a guide to rating scales and questionnaires. UAMS Books: WA 900 M148m
Additional Online Resources
Buros Institute – Online index to the Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY).
ETS Test Collection – Includes an extensive library of 25,000 tests and other measurement devices from the early 1900s to the present.
National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR) – Browse by instrument/indices title for test information and references.
UAMS Library Catalog
The UAMS Library catalog can be used to locate additional print and electronic resources for tests and instruments that are part of the UAMS or Regional Center libraries collections. Selected subject headings include:
psychological tests and abstracts
psychological tests adolescent
psychological tests infant
psychological tests instrumentation
psychological tests periodicals
psychological tests standards