Info for New Students
The Library is open to students 24/7 with a current UAMS ID badge. Note: Reference Desk closes at 6pm Monday – Friday. No reference staff on duty Saturday – Sunday. Need immediate assistance? Contact the Reference Department at 501-686-6734 or email@example.com.
- General Library Information
- Hours and Holiday Schedule
- After-Hours Access
- Library Policies
- Library Liaison Program
Computing and Wireless Access
Computers are available on all floors of the Library with Internet, email, and Microsoft Office products.
Laptops, PDAs, and cell phones with Wi-Fi network connectivity can access the Internet throughout the Library.
- Anyone with wireless enabled devices can connect to the Internet via the UAMS Aruba wireless network by entering his or her email address and signing in as ‘Guest’.
- Students needing help connecting to the UAMS account can go to the Student Success Center for assistance.
- Need assistance with login names and password? Call the Help Desk at 686–8555.
Laptops are available for check-out through the Student Success Center on the 3rd floor. A UAMS ID badge is required for check-out.
Electronic Resources, Databases, Journals, Clinical Resources and Books
Many databases are available for searching the journal literature, evidence-based medicine literature, social science literature, medical images, textbooks, clinical guidelines, and more.
Note: Off-campus availability to most of these resources is available using your UAMS ID and password.
- eResources – Search the journal literature
- Clinical Resources – Clinical tools to assist health care professionals at the point of care
- eJournals – Locate full-text journals online
- eBooks – Textbooks and more
Searching Help & Guides
- PubMed (MEDLINE) Online Tutorial
- Selected Resources for Evidence-Based Medicine
- Guide to Nursing Literature
- Guide to Medical Technology Resources
- Guide to Public Health Resources
Writing & Citing
- Understanding and Avoiding Plagiarism
- Direct Quotes and Paraphrasing
- Style Manuals
- RefWorks – Web based literature citation tool
Quiet and Group Study Areas
- Group study areas, vending machines, current newspapers – 1st floor
- Carrels for independent study – 2nd and 3rd floors
- Study rooms for group work – 2nd and 3rd floor on the West side of the building (first come first serve basis). Each room contains a white board and a 40″ screen with HDMI and VGA cables for connecting to a laptop. These rooms will accommodate small groups only.
eReserve is an online system to retrieve course materials. Your instructor will give you a password to access course materials. Paper reserve materials are available at the Circulation desk for 2-hour check-out with a UAMS ID.
- Print & AV Reserves
Printing and Photocopying
A reusable copy card is available for purchase at the Circulation desk on the 1st floor of the library, for $1 (includes 5 copies). A $1 and $5 bill changer is also available.
- Photocopying – $.10/page
- Computer Printing – $.10/page
- Computer Color Printing – $.20/page
Books on the 2nd floor are searchable in the online catalog and available for circulation. Books circulate for three weeks and may be renewed once. Fines for overdue books are $1.00 per day.
Student Success Center
The Academic Affairs Student Success Center (AASSC), on the 3rd foor of the library, is available to UAMS faculty, staff, and students to support educational advancement.